Happy Friday Ya’ll!! Whose ready for another easy meal prep recipe for the weekend?? I’ve made this recipe quite a few times and it’s superb! It does take a little more time than other meal prep recipes because of the cook time for the spaghetti squash, but I promise that it’s well worth the time invested. Stick the spaghetti squash in the oven as you prep the rest of the meal and you’ll be done before you know it. We hope that you’re enjoying these Foodie Fridays and it’s helping to keep your nutrition on track! We have an upcoming nutrition challenge starting in October so get ready to GET SERIOUS before the holidays!!
- 3 small spaghetti squash, 24 oz each
- olive oil spray
- 1 lb 93% ground turkey
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/2 small onion, minced
- 2 tbsp bell pepper, minced
- 1/2 cup water
- 4 oz canned tomato sauce, 1/2 can
- 3/4 cup part-skim shredded Mexican cheese blend, omit for W30
- For the Pico De Gallo:
- 1 cup chopped tomato
- 1/4 cup chopped scallion
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/2 jalapeno, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- Preheat oven to 400F degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper (or two if they don’t fit). Cut the squash in half lengthwise, and use a spoon to scrape out the seeds and soft yellow strands. Spray the inside of the squash with olive oil and sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper. Place the squash facedown on the baking sheet and bake for 50 minutes or until the flesh easily pierces with a fork.
- Meanwhile, brown turkey in a large skillet breaking it into smaller pieces as it cooks. When no longer pink add dry seasoning and mix well. Add the onion, pepper, water and tomato sauce and cover. Simmer on low for about 20 minutes.
- Combine the ingredients for the quick pico de gallo in a medium bowl. Set aside in the refrigerator until ready to eat.
- Once the squash is cool enough to handle, use a fork to scrape the inside so the strands appear. Spoon scant 1/2 cup meat inside each squash bowl. Top each with 2 tbsp cheese and transfer them to the oven and bake another 5 minutes, until the cheese is melted. Remove from the oven, top with pico de gallo and serve immediately!