I LOVE FALL! The weather is starting to cool off, the holidays will be here soon and squash is in season!! I’m a fan of all kinds of squash! I don’t cook them often because the hubby isn’t a huge fan, but since he’s gone and all I get to cook as much squash that I want!! ha! My choice this week was a recipe for Delicata Squash Cassoulet. However, I made some major tweaks to it, so check out the link at the bottom for the original recipe, if you want to follow that one. Otherwise, follow the one below. It’s great, I promise. Baby Noah even approves!
- 1 head garlic
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil plus 2 tablespoons and 1 teaspoon
- 1 yellow onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 10 ounces cremini mushrooms, quartered
- 2 large delicata squash, halved, seeds scooped out, and chopped into 1/2-3/4 inch chunks
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Remove the papery outer skin from the garlic without peeling or separating the cloves. Cut away the top 1/4-inch of the garlic to expose the cloves a bit. Drizzle the head of garlic with a teaspoon of olive oil. Wrap with foil and place in the oven to roast for an hour. Once cool enough to handle, separate the cloves and squeeze the soft, caramelized garlic pulp into a bowl and lightly mash with a fork. Increase heat to 375 for the cassoulet.
- Heat 1/4 cup olive oil in a large Dutch oven on medium high heat. Add onion, celery, and carrots, a pinch of salt, and saute until onions are translucent, about 5 minutes. Add mushrooms and saute until mushrooms start to lose their liquid, about 5 minutes. Add roasted garlic, squash, broth, thyme and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes, until squash is mostly tender.
- Cover, place in the oven and bake 45 minutes. Let cool 10 minutes before serving.
This recipe was borrowed from https://www.rachaelhartleynutrition.com/blog/2016/12/vegan-delicata-squash-cassoulet