A family focused facility, providing the optimal environment for common people with common goals to achieve extraordinary success. Offering fitness and nutritional coaching to maximize your results.
Lemon-Chili Shrimp and Avocado Quinoa Bowls
If you’re looking for a fresh, light lunch you’ve found it! These delicious shrimp paired perfectly with the quinoa and salad mixings. If you live in South Louisiana, shrimp should be easy to come by. I almost always have a pack of peeled shrimp in my freezer. It was a quick and easy recipe to prep for the week. The lettuce will probably only stay fresh for 3-4 days, so be conscious of that when planning your meals for the week. Maybe eat these earlier, rather than later. Once again, this recipe was borrowed from Skinny Taste.
For the quinoa:
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa, tri-color or red
- 1 1/2 cups low sodium vegetable or chicken broth
- 24 jumbo shrimp, peeled and deveined (20 ounces)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- Juice and zest of 1 lemon, divided
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red chili flakes, or more to taste
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- black pepper, to taste
- 1 medium Haas avocado, pitted and sliced (yields 5 ounces)
- 4 cups chopped romaine lettuce or your favorite greens
- 1 cup diced tomato
- 1/2 cup diced red onion
- Cook the quinoa: Bring broth to a boil in a medium heavy pot. Rinse quinoa under cold water and drain well. Lower heat and cook, covered, for 25 minutes. Turn off heat and let rest, covered, for 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork.
- For the shrimp: While the quinoa is cooking, add 2 teaspoons of the olive oil, half of the lemon juice, half of the lemon zest, oregano, parsley, garlic, chili, salt and pepper to a small bowl and mix well. Add the shrimp and toss.
- Heat a grill pan or heavy skillet over high heat. When hot, spray with oil and add the shrimp. Cook 2 to 3 minutes on each side.
- Divide greens into 4 large serving bowls on one half of the dish.
- Add half the quinoa to the other half, then top with shrimp, avocado, tomato, and onion.
- Drizzle each salad with 1 teaspoon of the remaining olive oil, salt, pepper, red chili flakes and drizzle with remaining lemon juice.