The Roasted Root has done it again! This recipe is terrific! The hardest part was waiting for the spaghetti squash to cook and cool enough to shred apart. It makes for a low carb dinner so add a sweet potato or something similar if you need to hit your carb intake for the day!
FOR THE SPAGHETTI SQUASH:
- 1 large spaghetti squash
- 2 Tbsp avocado oil
- 1 pinch sea salt
FOR THE CHICKEN:
- 1 Tbsp avocado oil
- 1 1/2 lbs boneless chicken thighs chopped
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp sea salt to taste
- 2 cup fresh basil leaves
- 2/3 cup pumpkin seeds see note (I used walnuts)
- 2/3 cup avocado oil
- 1 large clove garlic
- 1 cup parmesan optional, omit for paleo
- Roast the spaghetti squash according to these instructions.
- While the squash is roasting, prepare the homemade pesto sauce. To do so, add all ingredients except the oil to a food processor. Pulse a few times to chop the ingredients. Leave the food processor on and stream oil through the top. Continue processing until desired texture is reached.
- Heat a skillet to medium-high and add 1 to 2 tablespoons avocado oil or coconut oil. Add the chopped chicken, sea salt, paprika, and cumin. Brown the chicken without stirring for 3 minutes. Stir and continue browning without touching another 3 minutes. Stir chicken well, cover, and cook until cooked through, about 2 to 5 minutes more.
- Once the squash is cool enough to handle, transfer the “spaghetti” strands to a large mixing bowl. Add in the pesto sauce and toss well. Add in the chicken, including all of the liquid, and toss until everything is combined. Taste for flavor, and add sea salt to taste.